Posted on 7:30 PM

Wed/Thurs/Fri, Sept 24-26... Over The Road 101

By Lynette at 7:30 PM

Wednesday, after making it through Texas and Arkansas we were headed to Tennessee. We started hearing this faint beeping sound that neither of us recognized. Of course, Trapper’s driving, so I go to the back to investigate. I’m checking everything, coming up with nothing, and then… the aroma of melting plastic…..

Trapper’s asking, “What is it? Have you found it?” All I can murmur is, “We have a problem… I smell plastic melting…like wires burning!” He gets us stopped and off the interstate. I turn around and see smoke coming out from under the “closet”. The inverter had burned up! The cabin full of smoke, we unplugged everything, opened the windows and vents, and just kind of looked at each other. Thankful that nothing caught on fire… we’re now appliance-less! Dang… we miss the coffee pot! We can’t replace the inverter ourselves so we’ll have to tough it out until we can make it to CFI Headquarters in Joplin, MO.

Thursday, we made our delivery in Versailles, KY. We delivered at a huge Sylvania plant and it was a live unload. Needless to say... I slept through backing in the dock. The picture was taken from the cab looking toward the street we came in on.








The second picture is looking toward the drivers side and the last picture is looking toward the passenger side.

There was "stuff" stacked all over and empty trailers, etc. This dock was a "preventable" waiting to happen. The dock worker came and knocked on the door and said we were empty and ready to go and he leaves. Of course, Trapper checks and the light is still red... we were still attached to the dock... now, whose fault would that have been?

We finished there and with no preplan we decided we had time to run me by the drug store. Google earth should have told me it was going to be difficult to get the truck in downtown Versailles. Versailles looks like Main Street, USA… two lane with cars parked in front of stores, low flying phone lines, and telephone poles on every corner. A trucker’s dream….

We’re on main street Versailles, I spot the drug store, and Trapper tells me to jump out and he’d pick me back up. (I should have asked for more specific instructions…) I walked a block, in the drug store, and back out. I wait around for a minute and I see the truck… a block away! Looking around and realizing I’m on the wrong corner… I decided my best bet was to start running….through the parking lot… cross the alley way between the dumpsters… stop and take the flip flops off… through the city hall back parking lot… and finally popped out on main street. I stop, look both ways and no truck!!!

There I stood… purse, prescription, and flip-flops in hand… hmmm… then I see the truck a few blocks ahead of me. Whew! He did come back for me, thank god! Being a little skeptical that Trapper didn’t see me, since I had changed locations… I let him get a little closer and then I took a couple of steps into the street and flagged him. He stops and I jump back in the truck. Mission accomplished…It was good to be back home!

We decided to try and second guess the trucking industry and head toward Louisville, KY in pursuit of a truck stop for the night. We get there, find one, and Trapper calls dispatch. We were then dispatched to Lexington, KY… of course that was in the opposite direction! We showered, ate dinner, and headed on over to Lexington, KY so we would be there for our appointment at 7:00 am on Friday.

Our final destination, for this dispatch is Waterville, Maine. 1100 miles and we deliver on Sunday around noon. It’s a drop and hook, which is always nice. We’re hauling scrap pieces of paper… 42,000 lbs of it! We’re already preplanned to leave Waterville, Maine on Monday to deliver in Michigan on Wednesday. We’ll have our reset on our 11, 14, and 70 hours…. Sweet…

0 comments