Posted on 11:54 PM

Sat, Dec 20.... Tales From Virginia

By Lynette at 11:54 PM

Our day ended today in a town called South Boston, VA... never heard of it huh? well... us either... it's 30 miles east of Danville, VA AND currently pouring down rain! I don't think we've seen the sun in a week. We left VA a few days ago... headed to IN... and we're back in VA, we dodge the weather bullets constantly! We have survived super dense fog, super down pours, and out run the snow! I hope this keeps up!

We spent the afternoon and evening watching Fiddler on the Roof and the Untouchables... Trapper has retired for the evening and I read some history on the Great Depression and Al Capone. For the last little bit I've been sitting here reading my "favorite blogs" and I had to (kinda) laugh... I guess if you're not in the trucking industry, you can't really sympathize with some of the tales we tell with our blogs....

One drive mentioned being in Peculiar, MO... this is a relatively small town that you blow through... but it is home to Peculiar Golf! Another driver is in Spokane, WA with 3 feet of snow! And another is in FL... probably wishing Spanish was his native spoken tongue! All of these we can relate to... we too have been to these places and dealt with the very same thing. (Except for the snow!) It's funny... we all drive for different companies but the situations are the same!

For me, today was another first. Our trip from Indiana has been going fine. We left yesterday with our 14,000 lbs. of foodstuff and drove the majority of the way. Today we only had about 150 miles to drive. We were on I-77 and we had to exit at Hillsville, VA. We were going to take Hwy 58 all the way across to South Boston. The hiway looked curvy, etc. on the map and believe me (now) the map did not lie!

There comes a point where you should probably listen to your gut instinct. I'm not a big fan of roller coasters.... if we could have traveled at 55 mph we would have had us a self made roller coaster ride! I was trying to hide my white knuckles from Trapper but I had the death grip on the arm rest again... 9% grade, turns upon turns, hair pin curves.... you name it, this hwy has it!

But, with all this going on... I saw some of the prettiest mountains I've ever seen! When you get to the top of this mountain you reach a point called Lover's Leap... the view is breathtaking! (I would have taken a picture, but the batteries are dead.)

Finally we came out of this mountain and spotted a Wal-Mart... we needed a couple of things and so we stopped. I believe we were in Spencer, VA. This little town should be named the "Friendliest Place on Earth!"

The last Saturday before Christmas, it's nasty outside, it's cold, and we're inside a crowded Wal-Mart where the general public is actually saying "Good Morning" with a smile, being polite, not bumping into you or looking at you like you've lost you're mind, the employees were nice and helpful and I, quite frankly, was taken aback by it all.

We should all, including myself, find a little good cheer and humor a little more often. People will notice!

0 comments