Posted on 11:45 AM

Thurs... Feb 4.... Poor (Pure) Michigan

Filed Under () By Lynette at 11:45 AM

The trip from Oklahoma to Taylor, MI was relatively uneventful. We arrived in Taylor, MI on Thursday and dropped our load. Someone will tote it across the border for us. After quick showers and a quick cleaning of the truck... we were beeped to go to Muskegon, MI and pick up a load that we will carry back to Waco, TX.

I haven't been in Michigan in months! I noticed they have changed their "Welcome" signs to say, "Welcome to Pure Michigan." I found that interesting and don't pretend to understand the meaning.

As we left the terminal in Taylor, we drove 6 miles down (what once was a bustling busy street) to the interstate. As we were driving I counted 4 restaurants (large national chains) that were closed, a mortgage business - closed, a real estate office - closed, one business in a strip mall - burned, a strip mall - vacant. All this was within a 6 mile trip.

Earlier we passed the Mazda plant. They probably have a 50 acre parking lot that maybe 50 cars were parked in. I guess this is the employee parking. Another large car plant sat empty. The car-carrier truck business next door - empty, but with a lot of car-carriers on the lot.

On the way to Muskegon I started looking for a truck-stop for the night. There aren't that many and the only one en-route was 60 miles before our destination. We opted for the rest area. As we pulled in I noticed there were only 3 trucks here. This is unusual. Normally trucks are fighting for space and lined down the entrance ramp!

Trapper and I had been talking about the economic status of Michigan and then it dawned on me... Michigan has been hurt probably the worst of any state. If people are not purchasing then there is no need for trucks to bring stuff. I guess this answers my question about why there is so much truck parking available!

I thought back to the welcome sign... I wonder if they almost changed it to "Poor Michigan". This could be "anywhere" USA. Seeing is believing and the news does not do a good job at portraying the correct picture of the states worst hit. Taylor, MI is on the very outskirt of Detroit and looks like it could soon be a ghost town.

A perfect contrast is Texas. We have criss-crossed Texas in the past few weeks and every where you look the shopping centers are full, restaurants are full, and help wanted signs are not "strange" to see. What exactly is it that Texas does that most other states don't?

0 comments