Posted on 1:00 AM

Mon, Dec 22 … A New Mindset

By Lynette at 1:00 AM

Our goal for today is to get out of the “on the road” mindset. Before I joined Trapper on the truck, I never could really understand what he meant when he would say that to me… I know now.

It’s such a weird feeling. On the road, you live in small quarters, everything is within reach (for example, I can put clothes away and then cook AND serve dinner without moving either feet!), you’re always either driving to meet a deadline or your sitting some where waiting on the next load. You end up in a “hurry” mode all the time. Everything, down to doing the laundry, is planned. Like I’ve mentioned before, the truck becomes your home. The truck IS where you live, you just park somewhere different most every night.

Arriving at home, everything looks familiar, but …. for me, I catch myself looking for things because I can’t remember where I keep them. Trapper can’t find anything because I moved it and now I can’t remember where I put it 8 weeks ago! I have to remind myself that there is a washer and dryer… downstairs… not at the Pilot at exit 145.

I go from the mindset of having only a microwave and slow cooker to cook with to having a full stove and oven to use! And heaven help me when I have to drive the car!! I don’t drive for weeks and then I get behind the wheel… it’s like being sixteen again!

We’ve been “updating” the interior of the house for the past few months… it’s an ongoing project… so Trapper spends awhile walking around looking at our “progress”. (Which, I am proud to say, the kitchen is finished and one of the bathrooms is 85% complete! We’re still making progress…. )

And naturally there’s the seven weeks of mail to sort, the yard to work on, and any other things that have come up while we’ve been gone.

Tomorrow, we’ll both be “over-it” and we’ll get busy.

As for now… spaghetti is on the menu and that means driving to the grocery! I’ve yet to try spaghetti in the truck, but if Eric (a driver friend of ours) can do it… so can I! Watch out Eric… I’ll figure it out!

0 comments