Posted on 4:53 PM

Sat, Jan 31... Midnight Run!

By Lynette at 4:53 PM

Our relay load was delivered in Tulsa, OK last night, successfully. We found a nearby truck stop and called it a night.

Big Brother Beeping woke the house up at 7:30 am! We are being dead headed to Salina, KS to pick up a load that delivers on Wednesday morning in Ontario, CA. I had to look at the zip code to be convinced it was California and not Canada. I can't believe we're dispatched to CA!! This means I can add 4-5 more states to my list. This leaves me just a few before I reach the goal of travelling through all 48! I've never had a desire to see Alaska (no offense to anyone) but I would put Hawaii on the short list! (I'm more warm weather and Trapper's already been to Alaska.)

It's Saturday morning and we don't pick up in Salina, KS until 12:30 am Sunday morning. We're killing time at the truck stop and we'll have a pretty easy run for today. I'm checking the weather, just in case! I've visited Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada a few years ago, but I'm so looking forward to "driving" through these states on this trip.

Rest areas, travelling across America, intrigue me as well as the different turnpikes we have been on. On the turnpikes you don't have "rest areas" or "welcome centers"... you have Oasis in IL, Plazas in NJ, and Concessions in OK... rest areas, in most cases, represent the history of the state... TX has the grandest rest areas, but then again, everything is bigger in TX. OK has depictions of tee pees... and KS has a map of the cattle drive paths that the cowboys used in the early 1900's when the area was being settled.


Stopping at a "truck parking only" spot in KS, Trapper notices a small hole in the trailer. Some places are very strict on the condition of the trailer they are putting their goods in... so the mountain man got out his man tools to fix the problem.... that's right... a hammer and duct tape! If that doesn't fix it... nothing will!


Exit 4.... Last FREE Exit! A few signs earlier said FREE Restrooms... I still haven't figured that one out!
Kansas.... extremely windy today! And we're empty!!
Our day coming to an end, for now. We're parked in the middle of Nowhere, Kansas. We're roughly 5 miles from where we are picking up tonight at midnight.
My blog keeps my sanity and let's Trapper read what I really think about being a professional passenger. But, he is also an avid Arrowhead hunter and we thought we'd get out and search for some rocks... I only came up with one that looked like a heart. No arrowheads... we're not in a good place.
The rest of our evening was spent at Wal-Mart and mapping out the rest of our trip. We'll have enough hours to drive a little of our midnight run tonight, but we really want to make the majority of this trip in the daylight.
I can not wait to get to Colorado!! We'll also be going through Utah, a little of Arizona, Nevada, and then to California.


View Larger Map

2 comments

rodpumas on Monday, February 2, 2009 at 5:01:00 PM EST  

My wife and myself were born and raised in Goodland west of Salina.
We now live in FL.

Once we took our Grandson back to KS to visit when he was about Six yrs old. Just west of Salina he made the statement "Where are we. in the middle of nowhere? Your post reminded me of that.

You folks keep it safe.

Rod in Pensacola


Lynette on Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 6:55:00 PM EST  

Hi Rod,
Thanks for the note. Pensacola is gorgeous! I'm glad my post brought back a fond memory for you. Thanks!
Lynette and Trapper