A couple of weeks ago we were sitting at Petro and an ambulance comes through the parking lot. A few minutes later, the ambulance workers were loading a fellow driver into the back of the ambulance.

As I type this post, we are sitting on I-81 in Virginia. You can see from the picture, we are sitting completely still as other drivers are outside their vehicles. The CB is reporting a car on fire.

As the traffic started moving, we soon realized it was a big truck that caught fire.

This is when I started thinking we needed an "in case of emergency" plan.

We never heard how this accident occurred but the we did hear that the driver was ok. The cab was totally burned. The last picture shows a picture of what was left of the cab.

Being that I have no idea how to operate this truck, what would I do if something happened to Trapper while we are out here? What if he couldn't drive, collapsed during driving, or if any thing happened to him? Would my instincts take over and my adrenaline get us stopped or off the road safely?

There are days that I couldn't tell you, on a moments notice, what state I am in, much less the mile marker, interstate number, or exit number.

If I were able to get us stopped and 911 called... what do I do next? Of course, I would go with Trapper, but then I'd have to deal with the truck.

Who would I call about the truck? And depending on the circumstances, would I really care about the truck? Trapper says I would have to deal with it, regardless.

This would mean another truck coming and getting the load and then I would have to take all our stuff out of our truck, get a rental car, get a hotel, and eventually get us home as best I could. We could be hundreds of miles from home.

These are things you don't want to think about, but these two incidents have made me stop and think about the what if. Especially since I am only a passenger with no license or know how in operating this vehicle.

Regardless of who you are or what you do for a living... but especially truck drivers.... you should have a back up plan for emergencies.

3 comments

Unknown on Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 4:16:00 PM EDT  

If you go back on my blog to July of 2007, you will see what happens in exactly that type of circumstance. Reality is, you DO deal with it and ALL that it entails, including getting the rental car, hotels, and dealing with notifications regarding the truck and trailer. I pray it never happens to you, but being prepared is half the battle.


Lynette on Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 12:46:00 AM EDT  

Hi there! It's been a while. We are back at it and as I witnessed these things happening, I realized we needed to talk about it! I can stop the truck now, I'm glad to say. I wish all the drivers and passengers would be prepared. Hope I don't have this experience but I know I would figure it out. I'd rather be prepared though. Glad you guys are doing good!


LeRoy on Monday, October 12, 2009 at 3:19:00 PM EDT  

I carry $200 cash, a debit card, and a credit card for financial emergencies.

If Trapper had an emergency while at the wheel which left him incapable of operating vehicle you could pull down on the trailer brake bar which is near the right side of the steering wheel. That will disengage the cruise control and slow you down and in some cases stop you. You could pull on the brake knobs, but you may get stopped quicker than you want. Of course, getting stopped to fast may be better than going forward in some situations. I have heard that you better have your seatbelt on if you ever go into an emergency escape ramp going down a hill.
LeRoy (Magician) www.ParkMyig.com