Posted on 2:53 AM

Sun... Dec 13... Weathering the Storm

By Lynette at 2:53 AM

Ok, so when Trapper left IL, he was preplanned to go to WV... plans change, as is with life, and he called and explained he would be going to Utah!

Oh wow... time for me to jump into action. I checked the weather maps Friday and he would have smooth sailin'. And then came Saturday night and Sun... no more smooth sailin'.

Sat, I was on the computer, here at home for a couple of hours, trying to decide what was facing him. Sat night he stopped somewhere around Laramie, WY.

Then came Sunday! Sunday had a wide variety of snow report, incidents reports, and chain requirements. The only time we have practiced with the chains was at home, in the driveway, clear conditions, and a week ago.

He called Sunday morning to tell me exactly where he was and for the next 3 hours I was like a weather- road condiiton- first source for info! I now know UTAH like the back of my hand!

It's hard enough being in the truck, listening to the CB, and trying to figure a way around... but to be 2,500 miles away makes it even harder.

He is safe and sound in Salt Lake City... the load is delivered, it is cold, and snow covered!

2 comments

Q-Ball on Monday, December 14, 2009 at 8:46:00 AM EST  

We practiced at around noon in the Phoenix desert while at home but I can tell you, as i'm sure you know, no amount of preparation compares to doing it at 4am with 4 or 5 inches of snow around you with traffic whizzing by. I did it in Coloradoa bout 2 weeks ago and everything that COULD go wrong, DID! I think I managed to do it in an hour, while our dryrun took 15 minutes.. lol.


Unknown on Monday, December 14, 2009 at 12:38:00 PM EST  

I feel your pain, but thankfully I'm back on the truck now. The one place you never want to be in the winter time is Wyoming! Been there, done that, don't care to ever have to do it again.