I have to admit, my admiration for solo drivers to get anywhere on time is at an all time high!

We made it to Rome, NY on Thursday. I did find some snow as well... it was pushed up in the parking lot and the pile of snow was taller than the cab of the truck. I'm glad I wasn't there watching it fall!

Thursday we were dispatched to Cortland, NY to pick-up and load and deliver it in Monroe Township, NJ on Friday.

Friday we delivered in Monroe Township, NJ and picked-up in the same town. That's a rariety. We then delivered that load in Mercerville, NJ. On the way to Mercerville, NJ we were pre-palnned on a load to Phoenix, AZ.

Ok... stop the clock! Time out! We had to stop and do the math on the pre-plan. Our 70 hours are getting low with not a lot falling off... we had to break the news that since there was no delivery "window" we would have to relay the load. The company choose Pochahontas, IL for the rely.

I was dreading getting to Pochahontas. There's really nothing there. It's a nice drop yard with bathroom facilities and that's it. A big gravel parking lot. The best thing is this restaurant next door with fabulous Walleye!!!!

My dreading was cut short with another pre-plan! As soon as we drop our load at the yard, we are picking up there and heading back to Mechanicsburg, PA!

For all the non-drivers that read this let me explain... every time we stop there are at least 5 qual comm messages to send in. There are directions to the next place to write down with other info and we put the directions into the map and the GPS. The driver has to calculate their hours to make sure they can get to the next place legally. And then... there is getting there.

It saves us time because I am always available to do to the paperwork or computer stuff while Trapper does the trailer and the paperwork inside. I would go crazy, forget what stop I was at, and probably drive off without my trailer if I were doing this all by myself. Oh! and don't forget the 600 miles to drive (or however far it is.)

Truck drivers are a tough breed of people. This job and this lifestyle would not suit everyone!

0 comments