Posted on 7:05 PM

Fri, Feb 6.... Rollin' to Laredo, TX

By Lynette at 7:05 PM

I have officially added New Mexico to my list of states visited! I think I have five states left....

We're headed to Laredo, TX with a load of appliances that are destined for Mexico. We will get to Laredo late tonight... go through the trailer check at the terminal, get the truck washed, fuel up, and get on the board.

I spent the trip from Las Cruces, NM to El Paso, TX reading about the King Ranch located in Kingsville, TX. This ranch is the largest in the US and they were the fore runners in a number of things that still exist in the ranching world today. I dare you to read about it... http://www.king-ranch.com/ (you won't be disappointed). And just a note... For me, this blog is fun... my travels are fun... my life with Trapper is fun (and so much more) so it would be a crying shame to find myself, in such a great moment in life, and not learn a little history along the way.

Back to the story... We've all heard the reports of the "great border wall" the government is dead set on completing on the Texas border... right? According to the news, there is a total of 1200 miles of Texas border with Mexico. There are 880 miles across Texas on I-10, just for reference. The area of El Paso, TX and it's sister city in Mexico, Ciudad Juarez, is the hot spot that the news highlights.

I have heard the reports and I've seen pictures, but until you see it in person, you can't understand. The two cities are literally split by a dry river bed (the Rio Grande) with a fence running through it.

It is hard to distinguish where one city stops and the other starts. These pictures were taken in El Paso, the river bed is noticeable at the bottom of the picture and Mexico is on the hill. What a project a border wall will be...



Our entire day was spent in Texas. Here we are in Texas.... admiring the desert.

And more desert beauty.

Nothing in Texas is small. This oil refinery is huge!

The empty space in Texas is huge too! Hundreds of miles... millions of fence post... The trip down I-10 and Hwy 83 through western Texas is the epitome of wide open spaces. It's beautiful by it's own right!

And when you're just about to give up on scenery or towns.... you cross the Pacos River! The river runs into the Rio Grande.



Our day ended with us arriving at the terminal in Laredo. Upon arriving, you must go through a trailer inspections and as luck would have it... our trailer needed a rubber seal around the door. We got that fixed, got the truck washed, and fueled.

We are both exhausted and we are calling it a night!

0 comments